This Vegan Summer Squash Rigatoni is the perfect summer dinner. It requires one pot, a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes.
If you haven’t noticed, squash is overflowing at the farmer’s market right now. It is that time of year when you could easily eat squash at every meal. And luckily, it goes in just about anything. I opted for a yellow squash for this recipe, but you could swap this out for zucchini too.
The sauce for this pasta is super light – it is just made up of vegan butter, olive oil, garlic, pepper and a splash of lemon juice. You can also add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you want a hint of spice.
To add a peppery bite, we are also going to add a handful of arugula that will wilt down and add some greenery to the dish. If you don’t like arugula you can easily swap it out for spinach.
And finally, the biggest flavor bomb in this recipe is the fresh basil. Sorry, but you can’t swap that out for anything. Fresh basil is so fragrant and adds so much flavor to this recipe. I not only put chopped basil in the sauce, but also added some to the top of each plate. Seriously…so good!
This is one of those recipes that you could eat daily and not get sick of it.
Vegan Summer Squash Rigatoni
A delicious combo of vegan butter, summer squash, garlic and fresh basil make this Vegan Summer Squash Rigatoni an instant hit and easy dinner.
- 8oz rigatoni or pasta of choice
- 2tbsp vegan butter
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1large yellow squash chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 8large basil leaves plus more for topping
- 1handful arugula or spinach
- 1lemon juiced, to taste
- red pepper flakes optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Before draining, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Set drained pasta aside.
- Place empty pan back on the stove over medium heat. Add vegan butter and olive oil. Once butter is melted add squash and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pan. Sauté until squash is softened, but not falling apart (approx. 8-10 minutes).
- Add garlic, chopped basil leaves and arugula to the pan and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add pasta to the pan and toss to combine. Squeeze lemon juice over the pasta and add pasta water if the sauce needs to loosen up at all. Taste and adjust salt & pepper as needed.
- Serve pasta with red pepper flakes and additional basil.
SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY