Chicken meatballs are one of my favorite things to eat! Keto meatballs consistently pop up on my weekly menu plan. They’re delicious and simple, but lend themselves to a variety of flavors. These chicken meatballs stuffed with provolone cheese are always a hit with the family.
The Chicken Meatballs Stuffed with Provolone Recipe
This chicken meatballs recipe is incredibly versatile. I tend to keep it pretty basic to make sure the carbs don’t add up, but you can tailor this to suit your tastes. Try a different cheese, add your favorite seasonings to the sauce, get creative!
Combine the ground chicken with the eggs yolks, almond flour, and salt. I use my hands to do all the mixing since the next step is shaping the mixture into meatballs. It’s much easier to mold meatball shapes with your hands instead of utensils, plus it’s way more fun.
To get the most consistent sizes and keep better track of your macros, I recommend weighing the meat mixture out with a kitchen scale. If you follow my recipe to a T, each raw meatball will weigh 27.5 grams (0.97 ounces) before adding the cheese.
The sauce is straightforward, just diced up tomatoes and a bit of chicken broth. You can fine tune to your liking, but I usually leave any salt out until the end and salt to taste as I serve. I’m never quite sure how a sauce’s flavor will develop in the slow cooker until I dive in for a taste at the end. If you’re in a rush, cook on high for 4 hours. I usually aim for between 6 to 8 hours, myself.
A couple of hours in, take care to stir the contents of the crockpot gently. If I’m around the house while these are cooking, I’ll give it a mix every couple of hours out of curiosity. But if you have things to do elsewhere, don’t even worry about doting on your crockpot. Rest assured, everything will still taste amazing. That’s the beauty of slow cooking; you can toss it all in one pot and forget about it until dinner!
Chicken Meatballs Stuffed with Provolone Cheese
Low carb, gluten-free chicken meatballs with an ooey-gooey provolone center!
- 1 pound chicken ground
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 oz provolone cheese cubed
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
US Customary - Metric
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, egg yolks, almond flour, and salt.
- Shape the mixture into 20 meatballs, weighing 27.5g per piece. Adjust the size of the meatball to your liking if you prefer larger meatballs.
- Press a cube of provolone (14g per cube) into each meatball and reshape, if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken broth to the slow cooker; gently submerge the meatballs in the sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, medium for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours, taking care to gently stir the meatballs after 2 hours.
SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY