This Paleo + Whole30 grilled pineapple chicken might just be my personal favorite! It’s got this smoky barbecue flavor, with a hint of sweetness and that grilled pineapple…does it even get any better? Healthy summer dinners have never tasted so good!
HAWAIIAN BBQ CHICKEN MARINADE
The flavor of the chicken marinade for this recipes is like a cleaned up Hawaiian BBQ sauce. It’s a little smoky, a little sweet and will have you licking the extras off your fingers! We use all real food ingredients unlike many store-bought sauces and marinades and dates are our primary sweetener, keeping this one Whole30 compliant if that’s your thing!
GRILLING – THE TRAEGER ADVANTAGE
We use chicken thighs in this recipe which cook up pretty quickly, and we love grilling the chicken and pineapple on high heat and also on our Traeger wood pellet grill. The Traeger really adds a layer of smoke you just don’t get with a traditional grill. It also consistently cooks everything to perfection. I have to admit that grilling on our old charcoal grill was always intimidating to me…like I would rather heat the house up cooking with the stove/oven than try to get the charcoals going, without making a total mess. On the Traeger though, I feel as comfortable as I do inside in our kitchen. It has made cooking this summer so much more fun and enjoyable for me! We had a Traeger for several years, and then this summer our friends at Traeger upgraded our setup and sent us a brand new grill! It’s been one of my favorite parts of this summer!
If you’ve never had grilled pineapple before, you are in for a real treat! We love grilling veggies AND fruits during the summer. There is just something real special about it. Some of our favorite grilled fruits are pineapple (obviously) and also stone fruit, like peaches, nectarines, plums, etc. We’ve also tried watermelon, cantaloupe and mango as well! Seriously, start playing with grilled fruits – you won’t regret it!
Grilled Pineapple Chicken (Paleo + Whole30)
This Paleo + Whole30 grilled pineapple chicken has a smoky barbecue flavor, with a hint of sweetness and juicy grilled pineapple for a healthy summer dinner!
- 1 fresh pineapple, skin removed and cut into rounds with the core removed
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs (or breasts)
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4-6 pitted dates, soaked for 10-15 minutes in warm water to soften then drained
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
For serving and topping:
- White or cauli rice (Cauli rice for Whole30)
- Mixed greens
- Chopped green onions (for topping)
- Soak dates in warm water as noted to soften.
- To make the marinade, place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and run continuously to combine all the ingredients until smooth. Stop to scrape sides down as needed and restart.
- Place chicken in a shallow bowl or dish and pour the marinade over. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- When you are about ready to grill, cut pineapple into rounds as noted. Cut out the tough inner core from the rounds and set aside.
- Heat your grill to high heat (about 500° F). Add the chicken and pineapple to grill and cook, flipping once and basting chicken with any remaining marinade until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes on each side depending on the size of the chicken. Remove pineapple when it is grilled to your liking (we grilled it just 3-4 minutes per side).
- Serve chicken and pineapple with your desired side, over rice or over greens (or greens and rice). Enjoy.
SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY